We are right in the middle of our favorite month of the year – and not just because it’s fall and Halloween. It’s National Cybersecurity Awareness month and we are celebrating it every day on our social media accounts!
(Side note: This year we really got in the fall spirit and tried a pumpkin spice latte but, and don’t be a hater, it was not something we’re ordering again. Hard pass, guys.)
As cyber security’s biggest fans, we want to make sure that you guys can see how simple it is to keep your data safe and protect yourself and your family. Our big recommendation is in unison with the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies: Own IT. Secure IT. Protect IT.
Here are some highlights for the month:
– More than 45% of our global population is connected on social media
– Update your privacy settings and make sure that geo-tagging (showing where you are when you post to social media) is turned OFF
– Even when it’s scary, report cybercrime – don’t let anybody hold you hostage.
– Remember that there is no delete button on the internet. Every website change and update are stored in the history of the internet. It is all backed up on a server you cannot access.
– There are foreign influencers and bots on social media. If something triggers a strong emotion, or is highly inflammatory/divisive, it likely came from a foreign influencer or a bot.
Check out more information on our social media pages or on the NCSAM 2019 page – and stay safe as you live your life in a digital world.